Saturday, October 18, 2008

39th Week

Another appointment. Still no change in anything. Had the same midwife as last week and she said she really doesn't feel any change, no even in the softness of the cervix that is left. She stretched me a little, but that still doesn't seem to have produced any change.

After my appointment, I went to the bank to activate my new debit card with my new last name on it and had an interesting run in with a member of the male gender...Men don't generally require a lot of details about the pregnancy or impending birth of another man's child. This one was awful chatty...wanted to know my due date, how long past my due date I was willing to go, whether I felt the baby had dropped a lot, was I getting an epidural and had I been tested for group b strep???? He tried to tell me group b strep testing was not routine (yes it is now) because like 15 years ago he and his wife had a still birth at 8 months because of it. Which is very sad....and a reason why they test for it routinely now. But he insisted that I ask them to retest right during labor for it and that I should have had it done earlier...uhhh...then he asked me if I know what it is and started to tell me it is the virus that causes strep throat. Poor man. Didn't know he was not only talking to a microbiologist, but like most woman of this century who wanted to be having a baby, has read plenty of books. Streptococcus is not a virus, it is a bacteria. He then tried to tell me the babies breath it in utero. Umm no. Fetuses cannot breath, they may practice the movement, but that ambilical cord is for more than just food...It was just such a weird conversation...I mean he was nice and well intentioned, but unless he is a male with a medical degree, specifically one in obstetrics, what does he think he can educate me on? Personal experience is one thing, but lectures? Not so much.

Then the male manager at Safeway predicted next Wednesday around 10pm and that I'll have a boy. Much more man appropriate light conversation! He was right about the boy part anyways...oh and the first guy told me I cheated by finding out the sex and that what did I plan to do if they made a mistake and it was a girl and I have all those blue clothes you know??? Hmmm...mommy Rhi picked a lot of green and yellow anyways and the world won't end if Tyler is a Taylor (j/k that wouldn't be her name). Chances are higher of mispredicting a girl than a boy anyways!

Sorry for the grumpy girl rant.

No comments: