Monday, January 4, 2010

Sick Baby


We spent New Year's in Lincoln City with friends and kids. Head count: 8 adults and 5 kids; and pretty much everyone was some form of sick. Especially the kids. The first bad sign was when the oldest kid, a 10 year old was nauseous New Year's Eve and then threw up the next morning all over the table and the train game. If you know our friends and their propensity for playing games, this is critical damage. Tyler had already been battling a cold, and wasn't sleeping well.

I put him down for a nap with a humidifier, waited until he was asleep and crept into the room to take a nap myself. He woke up in a sheer panic, so I brought him into the bed to cuddle with me for a bit. He was so...listless. Just staring at nothing. Then he turned his head to look me dead in the eyes...and a fountain of vomit erupted out of his little body. Let me state this was a giant first. So now only was that freaky, but the sheer volume had me calling as urgently but quietly (there were several kids trying to nap) for Matt's help. As we stripped him and got him in the tub, more came up and it was just bad. That afternoon he threw up 5 times and he and I left to go back home. This commenced the beginning of a week full of throw up, neediness, lots of laundry, diarrhea, and a baby barely able to keep anything down.

The end result: Tyler got the flu that has been circulating Newport AND his first ear infection. I have also spied what looks like FOUR new teeth working their way through his tender gums. The poor kid had it rough, as did Matt and I. I was incredibly greatful during some of our nighttime dramas that Matt was home to give me the extra hands that made clean up and comfort so much more manageable.

Tyler is on his first round of amoxicillin, which Matt had plenty of as a child. Grammy was also plagued by ear infections as a child. Hopefully, luckily, I was told that because Tyler made it past his first year without one, he may not be a chronic ear infection kid. I sure miss being able to pass on antibodies at times like this...

3 comments:

Rhi said...

please excuse the fact that he had just eaten and has very visible leftovers in his two front teeth. I assure you the molar is not food depris!

Sarah said...

Poor sick baby, that is nooo fun. Is he all better now? We miss you guys already, I know that wasn't a super fun trip for you but I promise next time will be better!

I am happy to report that the train game is still in tact and all the linens were restored to their original beauty.

Did Ty's shirt recover?

Rhi said...

Happily all clothes and linens here survived as well! He is feeling better enough to let his teething pain rank a little higher on his priority list :)

Next time will be better!