
Moving, of course, is always an ordeal. As soon as I finished my Psychology final on Thursday I began filling the Jeep to the brim with anything I could grab around this tummy of mine. And its been non-stop since then. Things would get piled into the front entry and kitchen counter and dispersed from there. Every time I would get it all cleared out, either I would go get more or Matt would have loaded me up with more. I don't know that I have ever done this much cleaning in my life.
Right now, Tyler's Room and the kids bathroom are my favorite/most completed. Not to say they are completely done, mind you :)
Shall we talk of hurdles??? Okay, get ready.
1. On our first night the sewer pump alarm went off and our sewer was "broken." Really added to that partially camping feeling when all the sudden you go back to no running water or toilets. Have I mentioned the porta-potty is still outside???? Because they can't get down the travesty of a muddy driveway to pick it up. Considering it was pitch dark and super muddy, Matt couldn't tell how bad the problem was in the night, but luckily discovered it was relatively easy to fix during the day (the pump wasn't grounded properly). I actually thought after the amount of packing already done, that we were going to have to re-pack some stuff and high tail it back to Grammy and Papas.
2. Saturday I had the pleasant experience of enjoying the view while I vacuumed and shampooed the master bedroom. Green grass, bending slough, frolicking horses. As time went by, it began to strike me as odd that it looked like one horse was bathing in the slough. Now, I don't know much about horses, but one of my fellow nursing students is really, really in to them (owns 3) and I started hearing her voice in my head about how the horses don't like water and mud. So why, for the past few hours had I been watching a black horse splash around in the muddy water? Matt and I discussed this and decided we didn't think it was frolicking-its back feet were stuck. He almost immediately left to start knocking on doors to see who owned the horses. They have no barn, and it was hard to tell which house they might belong with-turns out none....He went to 3 or 4, and no one knew who they belonged to. So with a little game of telephone, he called the Sheriff department. And God bless this little town, the Sheriff actually showed up. With his binoculars he could tell us that the horse look pretty old and thin/malnourished. By this point, the horse had sunk down to barely keeping its head out of the water-now VERY obvious it was in trouble. The Sheriff started making calls to try and get help, get a boat or something. Sadly, the three of us watched that horse finally give up and drown in front of our very eyes. I was incredibly sad and heart-wrenching because there was absolutely nothing we could do at that point. The Sheriff was upset and went off to work on getting the other horses taken out of there. One of the people Matt had gone to when trying to find the owners showed up and told us by asking her mom for contacts, had found the daughter of the horse owners. When she called her, this girl got hysterical on the phone about drowning ponies. (Side note, that made us some new Toledo contacts) A little while later she showed up on another horse, saw where the horse had gone down and started making calls. The other horses were packed up and taken away.
The newspaper reported that the owners were charged with one count of animal neglect 1 (for the dead horse) and four counts of animal neglect 2. They voluntarily relinquished the remaining horses to friends in the area.
3. Tyler and I were in the bathtub when Matt comes running in frantically asking where all the towels are because there is a flood in the kitchen. I stare blankly, because
a. we only have about 6 towels in the house that I can think of
b. where exactly are they???
the carpet just outside the mud room from the kitchen was wet for days from what that got into the sub flooring that kept creeping out as some dried. When hooking up the washer and dryer, something had not gotten flipped and the water didn't go down the pipes, it created an Updenkelder tsunami.
These were out first 72 hours. Its been better since then, but...I can't find my camera yet!

{Tyler and Papa looking out the window for trucks}

{Family night at the Toledo Bowling Alley}

{30 Weeks pregnant with #2 in my new master bathroom}

{full Jeep with my side kick}

{much fuller Jeep without a side kick, but with his beloved Duckie pillow}
1 comment:
Oh goodness Rhi, what a rocky start to a wonderful new chapter in your lives. I am sorry it started out that way but really, it can only get better as you settle in. Love you! The house looks great and you are the cutest pregnant person ever! Thanks for having us over and yay for surviving your first set of house guests, unexpected at that :)
Post a Comment