Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Tough Stuff

I went to Powells for the next installment of baby education books. I've been advised to start reading books on breastfeeding and getting your baby to sleep NOW, not later. One that came with high recommendation in particular was "The Happiest Baby on the Block." Which I have to say so far, is super awesome in the way it looks at the needs of a newborn and what they need and deserve before the age of three or four months. The part that I've found the most fascinating so far is that there are cultures around the world that never have babies that cry for hours on end....like we do in the U.S.

I also got a book on labor and delivery because I am super scared so I figure maybe if I start thinking realistically and learning about it now, I can be as prepared as a woman who has never given birth before can be. I want to not just know about options, but understand them so I can clearly communicate what I want and need. I want to believe in a natural birth, but I don't currently have enough faith in my own pain tolerance and resolve. A while ago, Elizabeth had recommended that I look at the Earth Mama Angel Baby website for natural pregnancy and baby stuff, so I finally took a peak today. There is some good stuff on there to look at, but as I was look at the section that talks about making a birthing plan...there is still a lot I don't know...I guess its a good thing I have 6 more months right?

No comments: