Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Horror Stories

One of my co-workers tried to scare me/give me a hard time about not planning on delivering at the hospital I work at. Yes, I know that seems weird in theory, but I was interning with the Legacy Health System at the time, and really hoping and trying to get a job with them because I really liked the lab and people I was working with there. I also got recommendations to the midwife group specifically at Emanuel. Those are the midwives I have seen since what week 8 or 9? And they are only associated with Legacy Emanuel Hospital. I have no problem with that. We like all the midwives we've met so far, sure some more than others, but they all seem very caring. Sure the Legacy hospitals aren't as newly renovated and pretty looking, but does that really matter while I am busy trying to push out a baby??? Or is it more important to personally feel comfortable with the people in charge of your care?

Well the co-worker had her son there and apparently he had some problem neurologically that she says they just "let him sit for an hour" instead of doing anything right away. I retorted with my poor girlfriend who gave birth at our hospital through the Kaiser/Providence combo who did not have correctly administered anesthesia during her C-section and was screaming in pain, and it happened to three other women too. My point-all hospitals make mistakes, all will have horror stories if you talk to enough people. I just wish I didn't have to justify my choice to others. Patients have asked me before as well, and I feel I need to justify by explaining that I used to work for Legacy when I first found out I was pregnant. One of the more understanding people? A labor and delivery nurse at Providence. She understood me wanting to continue with the women that I feel comfortable with for this important event.

No comments: