Sunday, August 24, 2008

Maternity Leave

This week I have successfully negotiated my maternity leave for both of my jobs! I wrote an email to my supervisor and manager at the hospital on Tuesday and waited until Friday for a response since I didn't work Weds or Thurs. On Wednesday, I went to talk to my GM at the restaurant. I only have to work today and next Sunday and then I am done there for 4 months!!! He also gave me the option to come to the newer restaurant they are just about to open or to return to the downtown one I currently work at. Which I am excited about, because some of my favorite co-workers are transferring and I was afraid that I missed the boat on that one when I was distracted with wedding stuff. SO excited that I will have my weekends back!!!!!!!!! Friday, I read my emails from the hospital where my supervisor told me that because I'm an on-call position (I do not receive benefits) I technically don't have protected maternity leave. But that she was offering me 90 days because I have been a good worker, and helpful at this low-staffed, intense time. My last shift there is scheduled to be October 8th. She is also re-doing all the scheduling that had already been put out until October and said she was going to probably give me 3 shifts every week. Normally, I have a scattered shift, since I am just supposed to fill holes. I am happy about this because three days is PERFECT to me, especially since I am leaving the restaurant early, it will actually be three days!!! Hopefully that gives me more time to get us set up with a pediatrician, and consider the thing that scares the crap out of me....where to find some part-time child care that won't make my job completely worthless financially and doesn't make me too anxious about leaving my small baby. I really don't want to leave him with strangers, but I don't think I want to give up my hospital position...I am really waiting to see what my life and how I feel is like once he is here, I think I will find the answer I am looking for on what to do about job and baby balance.

Unfortunately, this changing of schedules at the hospital has gotten in the way of the appointment Matt had made for us to have maternity photos taken by Briel, the same woman who did our engagement photos. The other dates she has open in Sept mostly don't work, and I need to see how much more re-arranging happens before I schedule again. So instead of this next week, it may be more like September 18th.

2 comments:

The Iwen's: said...

Yippie for set up maternity leave! That is great, so 3 months at the hospital and 4 months at the restaurant? That is just great. Does Matt know how much sick leave he has to use yet?

Mama Rhi said...

Probably not much. He is finally about to be put back on a project I think...